Pollock & Maguire has an active trusts and estates practice which includes estate planning, probate and estate administration, estate and gift taxation and estate litigation.
- Estate Planning
- Estate and Gift Taxation
- Fiduciary Taxation
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Estate Litigation – Contested Wills and Accounting Proceedings
Pollock & Maguire has an active trusts and estates practice which includes estate planning, probate and estate administration, estate and gift taxation and estate litigation. Pollock & Maguire provides comprehensive estate planning services to clients of all economic backgrounds, from simple and concise estate plans for the person of moderate means to more complex estate plans, including more complex wills, trust agreements and gifting strategies for the wealthier client who has a need for estate as well as tax planning. Pollock & Maguire’s attorneys carefully analyze their clients’ assets and family situations to provide appropriate advice in the areas of estate and gift taxation, identifying potential tax issues and recommending appropriate strategies to address these issues.
Pollock & Maguire also provides efficient and comprehensive services to its clients in the area of probate and estate administration, working with executors and other estate representatives, to first secure the fiduciary’s court appointment through a proceeding in Surrogates Court, then marshaling of assets, obtaining valuations and liquidation of estate assets (when necessary), in preparation for estate distributions. Pollock & Maguire’s attorneys work with their executors to make certain all estate debts and taxes are paid and that all necessary releases of the executors and other fiduciaries are obtained from estate beneficiaries before distributions are made. Pollock & Maguire’s attorneys gather all necessary documentation to accurately prepare federal and state estate tax returns and when necessary will defend those returns in the event audit or other inquiry by federal and/or state tax authorities.
Pollock & Maguire zealously and successfully represents their clients in estate litigation matters including will contests,will or trust construction proceedings and contested accounting proceedings. Pollock & Maguire practices in New York Surrogate’s Courts in Westchester, Orange, Putnam, Bronx, New York, Queens, Kings, Richmond, Nassau and Suffolk counties and additionally handles trust litigation matters when they are brought in the New York Supreme Courts or in the Federal District Courts in the metropolitan area.
Pollock & Maguire:
- drafts and safeguards your Health Care Proxy, Power of Attorney, Last Will and Testament, and Trust Agreements;
- coordinates with the New York State Attorney General Charities Bureau for proper trust and estate distributions to various organizations, including 501(c)(3) charities throughout the country;
- manages the expenses and income of estates and trusts and prepares in-depth fiduciary accountings to beneficiaries (informal accountings) and to the Surrogate’s Court (judicial accountings);
- works with genealogists and other investigation services to determine the heirs of decedents for probate and kinship proceedings